Welcome to the course
Welcome to my course
This is the full transcript of the video above.
Hey there, I’m Jennifer van Alstyne of The Academic Designer LLC.
Thanks so much for joining me for this online training, Cross-Platform Social Media for Academics.
If you’re a researcher, faculty member, or graduate student you’ve come to the right place to learn about social media.
Are there other trainings out there?
There are even some books on the subject.
But, there’s not much tailored to academics like you that’s actionable…
I mean, social media changes fast!
This course does more than introduce you to programs or tools, I teach you professional social media skills.
Social media, and online communication, is a valuable skill.
This course is just what you need to communicate with all your audiences: the academic and the personal ones.
It’s tailored just for people like you, who will get amazing benefits from communicating the work you do.
- Like being able to reach more people.
- Make meaningful and lasting connections with those people.
- Increase the impact of your work.
- Learn real social media skills like content planning and scheduling which will save you time and energy.
- And, learn ways to enjoy social media more.
This course isn’t about building a huge following.
A network of real people interested your work is the best way to build an engaged audience.
And, this course isn’t about spending money on social media.
I train people and organizations on organic, or non-paid social media. That means my strategies and plans aren’t based on ads or boosted posts.
And I teach you using free programs used by social media professionals.
I’m here to help you communicate the work you do in ways people can understand.
Because when people understand what we do, they’re more likely to connect with it.
I’m talking real readers for your work.
People interested in your research and the work you do.
Who can connect over things like teaching and course design.
And, I’m talking about connecting with family and friends.
Over the coming lessons, you’re gonna learn everything you need to share your work effectively on social media.
And connect to people there in meaningful ways.
This course is about reaching real people when you want to.
Or when you need to.
And having people hear and engage with what you share when you do.
You’ll learn the skills you need to benefit from these highly connected networks.
Whether you love social media and want to be on it all the time…
Or you want to know how to connect effectively when you have need of it…
…this is the social media course for you.
In this week’s lesson…
- you’ll get an introduction to social media platforms for academics.
- Download your Profile Refresher Worksheet, which will guide you to update your profiles.
- If you don’t already have profiles, learn how to get started.
- We’ll talk about some common myths about social media.
- And, you’ll get access to the Community Resources.
- Then, learn how to get in touch with me. Remember, this course comes with 10-weeks of email support as each new lesson is released!
So are you ready?
Let’s get started.
Click complete and continue at the top right of your screen to move onto the next lecture.