"I want a personal academic website, but I don't know where to start."
"I don't have a lot of tech skills, but a website has been on my list for a while."
"I know I need a website, but it's a big project. I need motivation and guidance along the way."
Does this sound like you? This course may be just what you're looking for.
Build a beautiful academic personal website
Are you ready to share your work with the world? You've come to the right place.
This training will teach you how to
- plan and build a personal academic website*
- write a clear academic bio
- host documents like your CV
- showcase and link to publications
- share conferences and speaking engagements
- create graphics and write content for your site
- share your accomplishments
Enroll today and get 6-weeks of email support as you create your personal academic website.
*This is a writing and content-focused website design course. While the training videos use WordPress, you may use whatever website platform or host you want.
In this course, you'll learn how to create a personal website that fits your academic life. With this training, you'll have guidance each step of the way as you create written and visual content for your website. And, get email support from Jennifer as questions about your content come up.
Some of the benefits of a personal academic website
- Your colleagues and others in your field will be able to find you, and your work.
- Students learn about you in a fun and engaging way. And, if you have a good teaching section, it's a great way to attract students who actually understand what your classes will be like.
- People who want to get in touch (potential collaborators, the media) will be able to. They'll can learn about you and know how to reach out for speaking engagements, media requests, and collaborations.
- Potential funders and publishers will have a better understanding of who they're working with. Your ability to publicize yourself helps them justify their time and funds.
- You will have a better understanding of the impact of your own work.
- Website visitors will be able to develop longer-term connections with you and your work.
- People can connect with you on the social media accounts you share on your website with ease.
- You'll have an easy-to-navigate and engaging website to present your professional accomplishments.
Jennifer van Alstyne is a communications strategist for the HigherEd World.
As owner of The Academic Designer LLC, she helps faculty, grad students, and scholarly organizations share their work effectively through social media strategy, websites, and graphic design.
Why people are taking this course
What made you decide to take this course?
"I enjoyed the social media course and I am always looking for more ways to improve my visibility online."
"I have been procrastinating on setting up my website and I thought this course would give me structure and content knowledge."
Why do you want a personal academic website?
"Visibility! Not just for getting jobs and getting my professional network looking at my work, but for the communities I work with."
"I need a place to consolidate several short term projects that I have completed since graduation. A website might serve as a portfolio of work for future collaborators."
How people are finding the course
People found the lessons so far "very" or "extremely clear."
And, they found the lessons "helpful" or "very helpful."
So far, people taking this course have found things "easy to follow" with a "clear layout of website options."
Students appreciate the "clear way you walked through the content of each section with examples."
And they love the templates and worksheets.
Get started now!
I'm so glad you found this course.
When I built my own personal academic website, I did it through research.
I studied guides, watched videos. I scoured the internet for examples.
Since then, I've gone on to design sites for writers, faculty, and critics.
This course was designed to fit busy academics like you.
Good communication helps us all.
Are you ready for the benefits?
Be approachable to the people who care about your work.
Find new readers for your publications, and interest in your teaching.
Let's get started.
Jennifer van Alstyne
P.S. I am happy to answer your questions about this course.
Here's what's included with the course
- Lifetime access to the full course + annual updates
- 6-weeks of email support
- Access to Jennifer's LIVE monthly office hours via Zoom
- NEW: Graphic Design in-depth video lessons with Jennifer van Alstyne
- NEW: Expert Guests on The Social Academic Community
Learn more about the benefits of a personal academic website.
Check out this letter to help you request professional development funds for this course.
Not sure if you're ready for a personal academic website yet?
Are you more interested in social media?