"I want a personal academic website, but I don't know where to start."
"I don't have a lot of tech skills, but a website has been on my list for a while."
"I know I need a website, but it's a big project. I need motivation and guidance along the way."
Does this sound like you? This course may be just what you're looking for.
Build a beautiful personal academic website
Are you ready to share your work with the world? You've come to the right place.
This training will teach you how to
- plan and build a personal academic website*
- write a clear academic bio
- host documents like your CV
- showcase and link to publications
- share conferences and speaking engagements
- create graphics and write content for your site
- share your accomplishments
*This is a writing and content-focused website design course. While the training videos use WordPress, you may use whatever website platform or host you want.
Learn how to create your personal academic website. And, get the support and guidance you need with
- 6 weeks of email support
- monthly live office hours with Jennifer
Plus, lifetime access to this course and it's updates.
Did I mention the 30-day money back guarantee?
There are so many benefits to a personal academic website
Here are some of the benefits you'll get from this training:
- Your colleagues and others in your field will be able to find you, and your work.
- Students learn about you in a fun and engaging way. And, if you have a good teaching section, it's a great way to attract students who actually understand what your classes will be like.
- People who want to get in touch (potential collaborators, the media) will be able to. They'll can learn about you and know how to reach out for speaking engagements, media requests, and collaborations.
- Potential funders and publishers will have a better understanding of who they're working with. Your ability to publicize yourself helps them justify their time and funds.
- You will have a better understanding of the impact of your own work.
- Website visitors will be able to develop longer-term connections with you and your work.
- People can connect with you on the social media accounts you share on your website with ease.
When you complete this course you will have an easy-to-navigate and engaging website to present your professional accomplishments.
1 | Welcome
Learn about all the benefits you’ll get from personal academic websites. And, you'll conduct a personal web audit. Hear about costs associated with hosting and managing them. You can have a site that costs $0, but we recommend planning on $100-300/year for expenses.
This lesson walks you through your website host options, and leads you through gathering your documents.
2 | Who are you? All about the bio
Before you create your website, you need to think about who you are, and what you most want to share. Evaluate your professional goals, choose a headshot and write an effective bio.
3 | Let's talk about your Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Learn how to share your curriculum vitae online. It's time for a CV makeover. And, I have an electronic CV template to help get yours ready for online viewing.
4 | Website basics
Once you've picked the best host for you, it's time to choose a domain name and title. For WordPress users, get a full walkthrough of the Gutenberg editor.
5 | Create Your Website
Let's get your website started. It's time to create your About page. And get my pre-publish checklist for new pages.
6 | Talking About Your Research
Communicate your research by making it approachable. People should be able to understand who you are and what you do, here's how.
7 | All about teaching
Create an electronic teaching portfolio for your faculty website. And get a bonus lesson on document design for your students!
8 | Design for your website
Finding images, editing your own, and how to make visuals accessible. Plus, learn the basics of graphic design and create a simple logo and icon for your website.
9 | Managing and sharing your website
What updates to check for, website security, getting visitors to your website and more.
Hi, I'm Jennifer
I'm a communications strategist for faculty, researchers, and graduate students like you.
I empower people like you to share how and what you do effectively in online spaces.
The Academic Designer LLC consults to research centers, small business owners, and scholarly organizations.
Your work deserves to be seen and heard. I'm here to help.
Why people are taking this course
What made you decide to take this course?
"I enjoyed the social media course and I am always looking for more ways to improve my visibility online."
"I have been procrastinating on setting up my website and I thought this course would give me structure and content knowledge."
Why do you want a personal academic website?
"Visibility! Not just for getting jobs and getting my professional network looking at my work, but for the communities I work with."
"I need a place to consolidate several short term projects that I have completed since graduation. A website might serve as a portfolio of work for future collaborators."
People who have taken this course have found the lessons 'very' or 'extremely' clear
And, they found the lessons "helpful" or "very helpful."
People taking this course have found things "easy to follow" with a "clear layout of website options."
Students appreciate the "clear way you walked through the content of each section with examples."
And they love the templates and worksheets.
Are you ready? Enroll now.