Social media made simple, build skills for academics and researchers like you
- Ever feel like social media is hard to keep up with?
- Are you ready to communicate your teaching, research, and academic life, but not sure where to start?
- Need to network with your scholarly community online?
Welcome to Cross-Platform Social Media for Academics.
Social media isn't just for influencers, or young people. These days, most adults are on social media. And that means there are expansive online communities you can take advantage of for sharing your work.
Whether you're a savvy social media user, or you're just joining, there's a more effective way to engage your audience.
And that's what this course is all about. I share my favorite skills and techniques for managing your online social media life. We'll cover how to
- share your work in a meaningful way
- network and connect with people online
- optimize your social media porfiles
- write for popular social media platforms like Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn
- grow an engaged audience that cares
And, enjoy your time on social media.
We'll even cover skills and techniques used by professional social media managers like content planning, scheduling, photography, and graphic design.
What's included in this course?
You're going to take control of your social media life. Here's what's included to make that happen.
Short video trainings
Short social media trainings designed to fit your busy schedule.
6-weeks of email support from Jennifer
And, monthly group office hours via Zoom.
Guides and templates for writing and crafting posts
Downloadable PDF guides and worksheets guide your process.
Get lifetime access to the course so you don't feel rushed
Plus, updates to the course so you always have the latest advice.
Graphic design and photography for social media
Visuals for social media can boost engagement by as much as 25%.
Examples from a variety of specialties (STEM, humanities, social sciences)
This training is for everyone.
Hi, I’m Jennifer @HigherEdPR
I'm a communications strategist for faculty, researchers, and graduate students like you.
I empower people like you to share how and what you do effectively in online spaces.
The Academic Designer LLC consults to research centers, small business owners, and scholarly organizations.
Your work deserves to be seen and heard. I'm here to help.
Students who have completed this course have found the content "extremely helpful." And they've found the lessons "very" or "extremely clear."
Average course rating: 10/10 stars
"The course is going great so far. I found the lesson about how to share wins especially helpful because it’s hard for me to talk about my accomplishments without feeling like I am bragging. Thanks for breaking down how and what to share so clearly."
"I enjoyed taking this course because it taught me the various ways on how an academic can use Social Media platforms for professional communication, networking, and promoting one's personal/academic brand."
"I was surprised how many people were interested in what I was saying. The lessons are very helpful!"
— PhD Candidate
"Before taking this course, I was fairly active on Twitter and knew there was potential there for more academic networking. I also knew from my own community-based research that social media had a high potential for being able to reach the general public with my work.
This course helped open the door for me in terms of reaching that potential. I now understand how to integrate multiple platforms with my message. I've learned how to hone my message, make it clearer, and have it reach more people. I've increased my visibility online, which is great.
This has already led to more opportunities, like speaking engagements and invited to be a guest on a podcast, all because I'm networking and getting my message out on social media!"
— Postdoctoral Fellow
- Welcome to Lesson 2: Social Media Scheduling
- Social media scheduling and how it benefits you (7:12)
- A walkthrough of social media scheduler, Buffer Publisher (2:37)
- Getting set-up with Buffer (4:10)
- Schedule when you need to (not because you have to)
- Download your Social Media Content Basics Guide [PDF]
- Welcome to Lesson 3: Content Planning
- What makes for good content on social media? (7:51)
- How and where to find content in your academic or research life (6:12)
- Download your Social Media Writing Across the Platforms guide and template [PDF]
- Unlimited content? Download your Weekly Content Calendar [Spreadsheet]
- Download your Guide to Academic Hashtags [PDF]
- Welcome to Lesson 7: Writing | Process writing
- Process Writing as behind-the-scenes peek into academic life (5:58)
- Process Writing posts for every aspect of your academic life (10:37)
- Download your process writing workbook (10 prompts for your academic life)
- NEW: Experiment with video and going live
- Welcome to Lesson 8 | Photography and Graphic Design
- Follow these 3 general design rules for social media graphics
- Create your 1st design with Canva in about 15 minutes
- Get your graphic design templates (and how to use them)
- Here are 10 ideas for social graphics for your academic life
- The basics of photos for social media: taking your own and using stock photography
- NEW: Don't forget your BONUS Graphic Design course with Jennifer!
Watch this video from Jennifer
6 weeks of email support
This is a great option for busy academics like you because even though it's self-paced, this course comes with the email support you need.
Included with your course purchase is 6 weeks of email support from Jennifer. If you have any questions about social media, your purchase includes the help you need.
Live Monthly Office Hours
Each month, I host office hours just for you. Join my virtual Zoom conference room to get real time advice even after your 6 weeks of email support is done. Get answers to your questions in real time. We can even do a mini-audit of your social media profiles!
If you can't join us live, I've set aside time that day each month to answer your questions via email.
BONUS: Graphic Design with Jennifer van Alstyne
New in Summer 2020, in-depth video lessons on creating graphics with Canva. Over 4+ hours of video training that walks you through planning, designing, and using graphics effectively.